Smorgasbord may not exactly be synonymous with weight-loss but when done right this style of meal can give you a delicious, macronutrient balanced meal without going crazy on calories!
The Swiss and Danish Smorgasbord typically includes various small to medium open-faced sandwiches topped with vegetable crudite, lean meats such as smoked fish, often a creamy fat source like cheese or yogurt, lightly placed atop a thin slice of whole rye bread. This style works great for those of us who like to “try a bit of everything” but who are trying not to overeat. Why does it work? These smorgasbord sandwiches emphasize protein and vegetables over carbs, while providing a balanced, tasty meal. You can use whatever you have on hand and change it up everyday so you do not get tired of eating the same things!
In my Slimming Smorgasbord meals I add extra fresh vegetables including greens for a side, use a wide array of protein sources, and often use crackers instead of bread. Sometimes these meals resemble more of a deli salad platter than a sandwich, but both are great options.
The components of a slimming smorgasbord include any and all of the following ingredients:
1. Raw veggies: Greens such as arugula and spinach to fill up the plate, and your favorite raw veggies that go with your fillings; try cucumbers, broccoli, peppers, red cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, pico de gallo…
2. Protein sources: Chicken, fish, hummus, veggie-burger patty, deli-meat, protein salads: tuna, egg, bean-salad, buffalo chicken etc…
3. Carbohydrate sources: high-protein cracker, minimally-processed flat-breads or pitas
- Good choices: Mestemacher Rye Breads, Trader Joes Mediterranean Flat Bread, Naan Bread, New York FlatBread crackers, Pita Chips, Food Should Taste Good chips, Trader Joes Some Enchanted Cracker
4. Fat source: Avocado, flax or other seeds, cheese or yogurt to accompany or mix with the protein. (Real mayonnaise is not so bad if used very moderately).
Remember the key to making a Smorgasbord “Slimming” is to limit overall portion (1-2 mini sandwiches or indicated serving-size of crackers) and to emphasize the veggies!